Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Driving Miss Daisy

While I have not yet attained the one piece of paper from the Munich authorities saying I can drive on my International Drivers Licence and be insured in the family's company car, I can officially say that I am an International Driver.

Why, yesterday I jetted off to fetch the girls from school, in the car, ALONE!

The thing about driving in Germany (apart from being on the WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD and therefore having a gear stick in the wrong hand) is that in the suburbs, as in most of Europe, the roads are very narrow. This means that if a car is coming from the opposite direction and there are cars parked on your side, you must pull up behind them and wait for that other car to pass. Cars joining a main stretch of road at an intersection (coming from the right) also have right of way.

We also have bicycle paths here, so you pull up (TRYING to look around the corner) but you actually can't see unless you are over the bike lane. All this peering around corners, looking through parked cars and watching for bicycles, all while trying to remember the way and making sure the kids don't kill each other on the back seat... it's tiring stuff!

Needless to say, there was a tea break when we got home...

But now, I must love and leave you... I have my Kerry Bean here, and we have a LOT to catch up on! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment