Thursday, February 10, 2011

Times Like These

It times like these, friends birthdays (and birthday parties), emails from family, friends missing you and... tummy bugs that make you miss home.

It is February, which means two very special friends birthdays. And while one is living it up in Aspen, and having a party in Vegas, the other is home, in our 'hood', and having a fabulous party that I can't attend.

I also have a tummy bug. Oh, the glamour!

So I'm sitting here, eating my toast and Marmite (my order of Bovril, via a lucky sod who visited the homeland for a week of braais and boerewors not yet here) and sipping my Five Roses, hoping desperately it will pass soon (so I am not defenseless at work this afternoon), and thinking about home. About the smells and the sounds, and the wooden floors in our home that just cool everything down on stinking hot summer afternoons.

Until some voices drifted in from the park, their accent, and language, very clear.
Nothing like some harsh German consonants to wake you from a day dream!

I guess I need to stop thinking how little time is left before I breathe in some South African air, and start reminding myself where I am and how lucky I am.
And while the cramp in my stomach is making me drowsy and dreamy, at least, when I'm counting my blessings, I can say that 'I once had a tummy bug in Munich.' Charming! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment