Saturday, April 9, 2011

Vaalie Invasion


I have to admit, I am a little worried about these German folk...
It seems that now it is Spring, and we must wear our Spring clothes and shoes (yes I did get a lecture on the train last night about not wearing my Uggs because it is now much to hot - lady clearly couldn't tell by my pink face and the bit of pink tights sticking out under my jeans that I had just finished a Ballet class, and Uggs were the only thing my feet wanted in the world!) and make the most of every available minute of sunshine, for fear of the looming Colder Months, the faanie side of the Germans has been revealed.

There are obscure lobster suntans contrasting with the palest of pale skin. Socks and Sandals. Anoraks in very strange colours. And even... a few veld skoens. Oh the HORROR!
And when asked if she really thought her white socks and velcro sport sandals go well together, my one kiddie replied, "Oh, I have another pair, they're green." GULP!

Not even my upbringing on Durban's beach front during Vaalie season could have prepared me for this.

But, there is an upside to Spring... and that is, well, Spring!
Flowers have miraculously sprouted out of every available patch of grass. Daffodils (also known as the Very Common Osterglocke here), tulips, pansies, and my personal favourite... the daisies.
These are just a small selection of the many in our tiny little patch of garden outside.
Another good thing about Spring, is that you can really see the sights. These is no more snow covering EVERYTHING, or making you shrink further and further into your Very Warm Jacket.

While Ker was here we took a trip to the Nymphenburg Palace. Although we didn't get to go inside because of the very late, but seemingly Very Important (hence the intense police presence, and press) arrival of the Belgian King and Queen. But we did walk around the gardens and get some nice pictures. From behind the ropes of course.





Last weekend F and I took a leisurely stroll around the English Gardens. For anyone that has never heard of them, there is only one thing you need to know... they are BIG. Very Very Big. (Thankfully there are maps dotted around so sense-of-direction-less people, like me, can find your way home - there are far too many birds and ducks for bread crumbs to walk).

It was about 23 degrees, so we were positively melting, but we made it to our favourite beer garden for a nice cold one. And just in time for McOnie Saturday Lunchtime Shandy, as per tradition.

Look carefully now... this is a nudie park after all!

Chinese Beer Garden. Live band plays from the second tier.
Our favourite, but very busy, beer garden.

And then, there is the other side of Spring. The erratic weather. One minute you're walking along, enjoying the wonderful day, and the next...
Ominous Clouds!

I have yet to experience a storm anywhere near as spectacular as a summer storm in Durban... but perhaps there is more to come.

Am off for my Saturday shandy... you have yourselves a great weekend now!

No comments:

Post a Comment