Sunday, June 5, 2011

Daisy Chains and Badminton Sprains

Like I have said before, Munich weather is a bit bipolar. Super hot and sunny one day, with SUMMER RAIN, and back down to 14 degrees the next. It's getting better, now that we are Officially In Summer, but I still have to run around the garden in my PJ's before I can choose clothes.

The kids are into their Summer activities in full swing. This means Grünschnabel group outings for the girls some Saturdays (An outdoor group where they walk through the wilderness and along the river and learn about outdoorsy type things like the Isar -river- and its inhabitants, climbing trees etc). It means that Tennis season is in well underway, and I, the Knowledge-less Tennis Watcher get to watch lots of tennis and try keep up with the score. It means there are lots of play dates (score), and lots of other Very Important Activities That Must Be Done Right Now that I was unaware of. For example: Collecting Snails, making them a home in a shoe box and then having the 'kid sitter' stop them from escaping (yes, I had to TOUCH them!); Getting the pet mouse out of the shoe that is inside it's cage (still not sure why this HAD to be done before bed, but it was NB!); Eating Icecream (This one I understand); Playing with tadpoles, and later on - the little frogs (this one I also understand, but... ew... ha ha). There are things I enjoy too, like making daisy chains and spending an entire afternoon playing badminton, although that was only fun until the 6 year old told me I was terrible (ya, I know, but I'm TRYING!:) ) pretty sure I sprained/ strained SOMETHING dashing for the ball, at which point I hollered "bathtime!"

Summer has also brought a few new Phrases That Do Not Translate Well Into English. (Or from eng into German!)eg:
1. Robyn, why do you have naked feet? (Bare feet?) This could also have been taken as "Why don't you have socks under your sandals" Weeeell... I'm from Durban?!
2. Swimming costume. A Costume? Like for dress up? It's called a swim SUIT here.
3. Now this one I learnt last night from some fellow adults at a dinner party, very handy! In German (Deutsch, if we're being 'correct'), there are two sentences which seem to mean the same thing but, alas... do NOT.
-Mir ist heise = I am hot
-Ich bin heise (What I would have said given the direct translation) = I am HORNY!
Oh dear! I just sat at the table swirling my wine HOPING I have never said that to the kids. The 12 year old in particular.

Another Summery thing (although this probably applies for any country) is the grass.
While it is DEFINITELY greener in Germany, all year round (even under the snow), it grows like, well, weeds! And since we live on the bottom floor and have the advantage of a little patch of grass that is 'ours', we also get the privilege of Lawn Mowing. I don't mind too much. It's a small garden so it's quick, and when the grass grows there are such sweet little flowers, but I can just imagine how the Upstairs Folk are complaining about our lack of commitment to the lawn. The landlord (who also lives next door) pops a garden refuse bag on the outside table when It's Time (reeaaaaalll subtle). At least I think it's him, because I've never ACTUALLY seem him do it, so for all I know it could be a garden gnome. Anyway, point taken, I did it today. At least the grass is soft and lush and green right? I'm not so sure I will enjoy mowing a JHB lawn, the grass is so dry and crackly.

Now all that's left is to try get a bit more colour before Home Time. Which was in two months time last Sunday, by the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment