Thursday, October 28, 2010

All that fuss and...

Last week I made a big song and dance about starting the fitness thing on Monday.
Well, it started a little early with a Sunday morning swimming session at a lovely indoor pool.

Now, usually, I am more the mermaid-playing that up-and-down swimming type, but, I thought I would give it a go.
Luckily, my other half decided to take me under his wing and give me a little push in the right direction. (10 100m IM's direction... my poor, unfit arms).

So we donned our winter jackets, and packed up our back packs, and off we went.
Seems a little funny to be wearing big jackets and then going swimming! Thank goodness for the heating...

At first it was a little tricky, the pool was PACKED. This in a city where EVERYTHING is closed on a Sunday, except for Subways. But finally a lane was free. Now, to a normal two people, seeing that the is only one cordoned off lane in a pool might be a sign to stay away... but we just saw the opportunity to do two armed butterfly with out whacking a granny. It was all going well, and the incredibly serious looking lifeguards didn't say anything to us about moving out The Lane. Until, some other swimmers decided ours was The Lane To Be In. Not that I can blame them... come on... two pasty South Africans in speedo's... let's be honest! :)

I wish I could say that it was great to have someone swimming behind me to keep me going at a reasonable pace (other than my very speedy other half, who lapped me several times), but Slappy McSlappster, and the other dork in the lane were taking a leisurely Sunday Stroll through the water. Despite all my kicking-with-a-big-splash efforts. Up and down they plodded, while we attempted to do sprints. Hey, at least while diving underneath them to pass I got to play mermaids after all!

Monday was a definite rest day (we went to the Deutsches Museum after, and it is BIG, MINDBLOWING and a little too much to take in, in one afternoon). And Tuesday seemed to pass with nothing more than a few casttv.com shows. (A girls needs her shows ok.)

So, as Wednesday wound around, I re-set my alarm only once. Got up, and switched on the Yoga DVD.

Ok, I must be honest, I did only do a little bit. But I did a bunch of ironing afterwards with a not-so-good iron, and woke up this morning with that distantly familiar feeling of STIFFNESS!!!!!!!! HOORAY!

I did intend on running this morning, but did some more yoga instead. Let's not go crazy now Robyn. We want some sort of continuance here.

Now, if I can just get through the Sharks game on Saturday without too many beers, maybe I will make it back to the pool on Sunday. Monday is a holiday, after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment