Tuesday, October 19, 2010

With a little help from my friends

Sorry, been a bit distracted, what with turning 22 and all.
So, here's what you missed...

There was a secret birthday getaway to a surprise location... ROME!
What a dream!
After a very long, sleepless train ride, we arrived.
Quick nap later we were on our way to watch U2. What a band. Let me tell you, if I wasn't a fan before, I sure am now. And then they showed a clip of Desmond Tutu... Well, I've never loved a band more. (kings of leon and the killers aside, of course).
My hands were waving around in the air, and I was screaming "AFRICA" at the TOP of my lungs. What fun!

Rome is a rather dirty place. Really doesn't help the stereotype of leather jackets and greased back hair. In fact, that's EXACTLY what the Romans are like. And the girls start wearing eyeliner at about... birth. The train system is designed in a curious manner, with thousands of Tourists-With-Luggage unfriendly stairs, and it's all a bit gloomy. But then...
You step out of a station, and right there, in front of you is the Colosseum. No bus ride, or walk around a corner, just BAM, right there. It's surreal!

We walked around a lot on the Saturday, and stumbled upon everything we wanted to see. You walk along these little side roads and alleys, thinking you're lost, and then all of a sudden there are a lot of people, and SOMETHING. Trevi Fountain, Parthenon, Vatican City. I kept having to pinch myself to check if I wasn't dreaming while watching the History channel. (Has been known to happen.) But then, these are hardly things you can picture properly without seeing, touching. Pictures don't do them any justice. Mind you, I was in awe looking at a 2000 year old pebble, so anything would amaze me. But really, it was stunning.

After this Long Day of Walking, we found a cute little restaurant (a nice change from McDonalds and Tramazzini's -native food of the Romans) for a little dinner. It's actually very hard NOT to find a place to eat in Rome. The Italians have their priorities set straight. There are about 5 Trattoria's per 200m. A simple dinner, but packed with incredible taste, and we fell asleep peacefully.

Having seen all there was to see, Sunday was left for sitting on the Spanish steps, eating ice cream and soaking in the sun. For the whole day. BLISS!!!

Now, let me tell you what I REALLY loved about Rome. The wine. It might not be the best wine in the world, but it is sold on every street and street corner, in little bottles, and it's relatively cheap. It also seems to be socially acceptable to drink anywhere. Say, for example, when sitting on the bottom of a statue, or on the Spanish Steps, or just walking along the road. Again, the Italians have their priorities set straight!

Heading home, I was welcomed into the big 22 with PRESENTS!
First a South African parcel from some friends that stayed with us... AROMAT, Biltong, Nik Naks and Nando's sauce (among other things). Then 5 Roses, and more 5 roses, and more!!!

Let me just take this opportunity here to say THANK YOU to the senders! You can throw anything at me now... and I will survive. Because I have a cup of OUR tea to wash anything down!

No matter what happens now...

I'll get by, with a little help from my friends!

P.s: In honour of my birthmonth, I hope ya'll spoiled yourselves!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment