Friday, October 22, 2010

Exercise

Most people that know me will agree that I am relatively lazy.

I like tea, which often comes with a little snack, and I am exceptionally partial to a Sunday afternoon on the couch with a good movie.

I don't like running, but from time to time I partake in the madness that is slamming your feet along concrete.

I don't like gym. Too many people, too close. And when you are on the machines that face other machines, where do you look? At the other people? And why would they put a restaurant in? For some, the muffins on display say "Don't worry, I'll make you healthy, you can go home now."

I'm not motivated enough for swimming, especially when it's cold like it is here.

I love a good ballet class. And yoga. And eating...
I enjoy healthy eating, but there is nothing quite like a good spag bol.

The problem is, that beer and pretzels, and most other food groups don't love me.

My idea of a good work out is cycling to the grocery store. Cardio.
And then cycling the 1.2 or so km home with a very heavy backpack and shopping bag. Weights.
And then unpacking the groceries. Stretching.
And then making a lovely lunch and gobbling it all up.
I think that balances out, don't you?

But what it all comes down to, for me, is strength.
I don't want to lose weight, but every time I see an old lady struggling along the isles with her shopping, struggling to lift a can of beans, I start to worry.

What if I continue in my lazy style, and never get involved in the protection of my joints. And then I get old and someone has to look after me. Vomit.

You always hear people say you should save your money, and write a will and prepare for the inevitable. But what about the preparation for a looooong age?

Therefore, starting Monday, the running shoes come out, and the yoga dvd goes in.
I will give this whole fitness 'thing' another shot. Again.

But don't worry, there will still be tea and cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment