Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Glamourous

The day started out ok. Bit cold so I donned my boots and leg warmers(who ever said that trend died with the 80's clearly hasn't been to europe in winter). And I set off to dazzle the (german speaking?)Interviewer at the UK visa office.

However, due to technical difficulties, my other half had borrowed my bike, but I'm ok burning a few extra calories as mince along to the train station. At least I was, until I fell.

No, fell doesn't quite do it justice. What I did was slide, gracefully at first) along the street, until I could no longer balance in this strange crouched position and slamming my knees into the ground was the only option.

A few people looked away, perhaps trying to stop my cheeks from reddening further, perhaps trying to shield their laughter.

I sprung up, almost as though nothing had happened, and sped off to catch my train. It was only after the shock that I, Robyn, the graceful princess, had fallen! (Ok, not even I can keep a straight face at that comment) that I realised I had a small sting in my knees and two very big, wet areas on jean pant covered my knee caps.

I hoped dearly that the Interviewers wouldn't notice. And what with the hardware malfunction going on, I'm pretty sure they didn't. But I did get a few scornful looks from some grannies on the bus. I tried to return these with a I-Promise-I-Did-Shower look, but I think I need to practice that one in the mirror.

Interview over, groceries bought, I headed home for some well deserved tea.
All went well until I went to work.

It hailed.

Yip, hailed. Peppercorn sized icicles fell from the sky. Not only was I the only person utterly amazed at this, but I was also the only person with no gloves within reaching-whilst-riding-a-bike distance. There was mascara running down my face, and a serious case of Beanie Hair by the time I got to work... (And no I did not change my pants so the were still dirty marks on my knees.)

At least, when it was pouring down with rain when I was cycling home, I was going home. A warm shower and some coffee waiting... A couch with a warm skinned other half. All makes a bit of rain worthwhile.

Now, if I could only remember my moms rule for driving in the rain (during cycling, walking and any other movement between place a and place b)... Start Stopping Sooner.
Or at least try get a firmer footing in between steps...

No comments:

Post a Comment