Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Just In Case

A good idea, when using public transport, is to look up an alternate route, Just In Case.

Now, since my route from home to work is a so simple (cycle to station, catch one train, walk around the corner from the station and I'm there), and the German transport systems are so efficient, this thought did not occur to me.

Therefore, when the train stopped about 100m down the track from where I was patiently waiting on the platform, and did not move further, I panicked. Well, at first I just thought it was delayed, until I realised that 20mins had gone by, an announcement had been made and people were beginning to leave the platform. And in my state of complete amazement that something could go wrong with this punctual system, and when I was in a hurry to get to work so certain children could get to school, this realisation took a while.

The next 10minutes were a flurry of panicky bbm's to the other half, desperately seeking help, and frantic messages / calls to my employers to say, actually, no, I was not on the train, nor would I be there in the next half an hour. In fact, if I did get another train I still could not get within an hours cycling distance of where I needed to be. (At a later, calmer, internet-access with-a-bigger-screen-than-my-blackberry I found some trams that could resolve that problem) but right then it was not looking good.

When, finally, I began to think a bit clearer and take action, instead of standing there looking completely dumbfounded (sometimes no matter how many times you look the train just doesn't move closer), I managed to figure out an alternate plan and avoid going to work all together, because I really needed to get home and consult google maps.

There is an alternate route now, written down, in detail, tucked safely into my bag, just in case. Let's hope I never have to use it!

Who know's how many cups of tea I will need if I actually have to pull it out...

Man, I miss my little car!

No comments:

Post a Comment