Saturday, November 27, 2010

These Clever German People



I headed off toward the train station to head to Marienplatz. As I walked, my thoughts drifted to brightly coloured balls of wool and christmassy things. As I turned into the road that the station is in, I realised that my feet had only found the floor moderately slippery once. That's when I noticed these little pebbles that the clever clever German people lay down, to stop clutzes like me from slipping around.


A quick train ride later I arrived at Marienplatz, thinking I would have to now look for the Christmas market. Boy, was I wrong. Marienplatz IS the Christmas market. As soon as you walk out there it is! And these clever clever German people have thought of EVERYthing you could possibly need for Christmas.

Christmas trees, decorations by the thousands, in every colour and form, candles, beautiful glass candle holders, gluhwein, kiddies toys, more decorations (they just got more and more beautiful), treats, snacks (sausages, curry wurst, etc etc etc) warm white wine, advent wreaths, holly, mistletoe, those red christmas plants whose name I can't remember right now, gluhwein, the traditional German gingerbread-shaped-like-hearts also in other shapes, a store with cookie cutters and moulds in every shape and character imaginable, oh, did I mention the gluhwein? That stuff has serious Warming Up properties.






It was only as I was heading out of the magical maze that I found the Snowballs. Roughly put (by the german lady behind the counter) it's a type of a cake, that is baked in a ball and then coated with sugar or cinnamon or chocolate (any kind) or choc and nuts, or nougat cream. I went simple and opted for white chocolate. Thought it would be more effective in my Show-And-Tell :)



Now, I am not sure how you are meant to eat this ball of goodness, but I sure am going to try. And yes, that is 5 roses... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment