Friday, August 20, 2010

Exploratory Adventures

I decided that today I would hop on my bicycle, figure out the tickets, hop on the S-Bahn and head to Marien Platz (city centre). So I packed some lunch, and off I went...

Living in Germany Lesson 3: Whilst looking lovely on, and being very practical for when wearing boots, skinny jeans may not be the best bicycle riding attire. Especially the Very Skinny Kind. It's as though every time you bend your knee to push a peddle they creep further and further down your backside. And since I had a waist belt on there was no way I was putting one around the top of my pants to keep them up. I sincerely thought that was what my bushmans bum was for!

Living in Germany Lesson 4: Check route before heading out? I couldn't remember where the station was. I had a map, and plenty of street signs but somehow still managed to get a bit confused.
So, mustering up all my memories of German lessons I stopped a lady and asked for some help. Of all the people I could have asked, I picked the one formerly from Cape Town... Hooray! She pointed me in the right direction (naturally the direction I was going to go in next! ;) )and off I went again.

It's really beautiful in Marian Platz! Except for my memory failure when it came to finding THE ice cream shop. (I don't usually believe in jetlag, but in this instance, I'm SURE it was to blame... I must have been half asleep last time we headed that way).

I browsed around and then decided to walk further out. It was as though I has stumbled into some sort of giants lair! The buildings, while very old and beautiful, are HUGE! I felt smaller than a full stop in size 6 font. And that's pretty small!

Vertical challenges aside I meandered forth to discover the University. If every kid in Munich, in the whole of Germany even, does not go to Uni just to be around all THAT, then I just don't know. It's stunning stunning stunning! (Pics will follow shortly).

After a glorious day out, a lovely lunch in the park, near abduction by bank promoters and a chocolate and tirimisu icecream, I decided to head home.

Living in Germany Lesson 5: Before waiting on a platform for half an hour, furiously searching your maps and cursing the Right Train for taking so long, make sure you are on the Right Platform. This is handy if you ever want to get home.

Tea Time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment