Sunday, September 12, 2010

I am a real princess...

King Ludwig. What a visionary!
The aim was to build 3 castles, each better than the last.
He may have died under very mysterious circumstances, and with a debt of 13 million Euro (in 1886 this was a substantial amount, I am sure) but he left castles whose creation can only be marveled at.

How these massive castles were constructed, on top of hill and mountains, and in areas that were battle appropriate (hard to reach), is something I cannot comprehend.

How the architects envisioned what we see now, and how these beauties were constructed before any of the technology we have today existed, blows my mind.

More mind blowing... how the rocks, stones, HUGE mouldings got up (WAY up) to where they are now.

For example, the one castle we visited this weekend, the Schloss Neuschwanstein, was King Ludwigs final masterpiece before his drowning in 1886. The castle took about 17 years to build, and was never completed to Ludwigs intended standard. Yet, in that day, there was running water in his bed chambers. They had these intricate tunnels in the walls between each room so the servants could fill up the heaters from the rear, without being seen.
And the craftmanship! The carvings and mouldings and gold and silver plated gifts... all so intricate.

And to see a castle, up on a mountain, with lush green fields all around, you cannot help but imagine what it was like when there were only carriages and horses to carry you across them. Poor messenger boy, running along, and up all the hills. I doubt the stairs had the railings that I used to haul myself up to the castle.

I think it's clear that I find this all fascinating. The power, the empires, the lifestyle, the CLOTHING. I saw Ludwigs mothers bed and all I could think was " I wonder if she would have felt the pea!!!" :)

Naturally, I then dreamt of 1886 when my former self, in a long passed life, was DEFINITELY a princess. DEFINITELY.

So if someone could just point me in the direction of MY castle. I'm sure it's out there somewhere...


(Pics to follow)

No comments:

Post a Comment