Friday, September 24, 2010

Stepford Wives

Since our house guests left, we haven't really had a chance to get things back in order. So, I decided today was the day. The ironing pile was growing, the dust was collecting in the corners and it was all getting a little too much.

The problem for me, however, is that once I start, I become quite particular, and can't stop until it's a little closer to perfect. Far cry from the little girl who used to just push it all under her bed, I know!

It was right about when I was folding the last freshly ironed t-shirt, that I realised how tired I was! I literally hadn't stopped for about 4 hours. (I know this seems a long time for a small apartment, but like I said, I'm particular, and there were hidden crevices that really had never been touched.)

Why did I not befriend some sort of army of stepford wives, with their pearly white aprons and incredible folding skills. It'd sure be a little easier! Maybe then I could learn the secrets to remaining immaculately put-together whilst tackling grime.
(I seem to be a more sweat-on-the-brow-hair-in-a-mess kind of cleaner, and then I, myself need to be cleaned.)

The problem with having a 'cleaning day' is that once you sit down, it's very hard to put your feet up. Will you mess up the sofa? Tread dirt on the carpet? Leave a ring on the table? Small things to be sure, but they add up, and soon enough it's cleaning day again.

At least it's just an apartment. Vacuuming literally takes 5 minutes if you're only going for the visible areas. Perhaps the trick is to remain incredibly busy, that way there is no time to obsess about the cleanliness of a cleaning cloth.

And there is always the upside of a REQUIRED glass of wine after it all.

Mind the spillage!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment