Sunday, September 19, 2010

Oktober Festivities

Oktoberfest.
A world famous gathering of hundreds of thousands of Beer lovers, and generally curious souls.

Got a picture in your head?

So did I... and it was completely wrong.

The large field filled with tents is actually a HUGE parking lot type surface, and the tents, well, they're not quite tents at all. In fact they are massive prefab halls, that are constructed just for, and come down straight after, Oktoberfest.
(A far cry from the shmooshy, muddy field I had envisioned.)

What we were greeted with was more along the lines of a LARGE scale fun fare.
Food, horses, roller coasters, beer halls, brightly coloured lights, laughter, food and hundreds of people, all dressed in their traditional get up.

Just in case you missed that... let me repeat... ROLLER COASTERS.
These are incredibly fun for once you have drowned any fear of heights and strangely directed motion with beer, and feel like you might ENJOY being flung around in the sky. Nothing but a few bolts and bars of metal keeping you from falling a looong way down. The view, however, is AMAZING! Especially at night!

The people are loud, festive and for the most part, pretty drunk. But everyone is toasting everyone, and chanting and cheering together.
Finding a table is a bit tricky, especially if you get there later in the day, but once you're in, you are prepared to settle in for the day.

Well, until the roller coasters call becomes too loud to ignore.

My traditional outfit was far from warm, and my snotty nose was a bit of a pain, but I was there. Oktoberfest. No way I was going home until after AT LEAST 3 rides and a very warm, sticky, nuttela pancake.

And the best part?
It goes on for two more weeks!!!!!

While my beer drinking for the rest may be limited, I will DEFINITELY be returning, even if just to watch the people walk on by. If I make it through the recovery day, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment