Wednesday, September 29, 2010

New Hair Day

I have been moaning about my hair for a while. It was short, and then
it started to look a bit 'shaggy'. This is not really a good look for
me. My skin is now pale, and I have been working late nights, so it is
dull and a bit lacluster. (There are bags under these eyes too).

Then there was the question of 'What To Do'?
Do I want to cut it so it remains short, and while it would then
require regular maintenance it would be so easy to manage, especially
in the mornings-wash, dry (this takes about 2 seconds) and go...
OR: I could cut it so that it can grow. This requires less
maintenance, offers infinite styling possibilities, but takes longer
to dry etc, and with winter well on it's way... Hmmm

Needless to say, there was a lot of thinking involved. A lot of
pretend pony-tail making. And a few skype calls too. What is a girl,
if not one that requires the advice from at LEAST 3 other
professionals.

And by professionals I mean 3 people who have hair and have known me
for longer than a year. Clear qualification I say!

So off I went... Trotting along to a GERMAN hairdresser, where I had
made an appointment IN GERMAN, and then proceded to explain to the
hairdresser, who only speaks GERMAN, what I would like her to do to my
precious locks with those very sharp looking scissors. All the while
hoping I hadn't switched the word grow with something fatal, like
"Extremely Short Please"... Eek

And so the snipping began.

For the first time in my life I did not attempt to make small talk. I
did not attempt to watch watch she was doing. I did not attempt to
anticipate where she would cut next. I simple looked down at my lap
where she had placed a lovely GERMAN Glamour magazine, and poured all
of my energy into trying to decifer what was written in that tiny font
on those tiny pages.

It's funny the difference a haircut can make (even if you don't let
them dry your hair for fear of the price doubling, or something sneaky
to that effect). Just a few small snippidy snips and it's as though
the sparkle was re-added to my moisturiser.(I am convinced that that
is where the transformation from Asleep Face to Awake Face comes
from).

Even though my hair is now shorter (I went for the growing option, but
a style was needed. Mullets don't suit me, unfortunately), and I still
feel rediculously pale, and boyish (this may have more to do with my
height and constant jean wearing), and I am working late again and
will, no doubt, have even bigger bags under my eyes tomorrow, I feel
as though every person that walks by is admiring my mane. And even
better than that, I feel ok. I feel like I can confidently reprimand a
naughty child, and make it home through the cold, and rightfully so,
accomplish damn near anything.

I even managed to wear the right shoes today.

And all because of a haircut.
Aaah, the wonders of being a girl. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment